Wednesday 17 February 2016

Terrestrial Biodiversity hotspots and marine populations

I read a General Article in Current Science twice. I was to write an invitation to read it. The content was significant. But the style was horrible.
Anyway, what fascinated me about the article was a map of biodiversity hotspots in the world. I kept looking at it again, to distract myself from the painfully didactic text and kept wondering - what is common between these sites, so far apart geographically?
I could not take the picture from the article. So here is one from commons.wikimedia.org/


One hypothesis presented itself - these are new kinds of land forming...
After I finished writing the page in Current Science, I sat back to relax. And then I come across this paper in PNAS - "Geomorphic controls on elevational gradients of species richness" by Enrico Bertuzzo et al. in  PNAS  vol. 113  no. 7  1737–1742  February 16, 2016.
Not bad. My instincts were right when I wrote the invitation to read the paper on Biodiversity in Current Science.
Another paper that I had to introduce in the next issue of Current Science dealt with fish populations in the sea. So I could not help wondering whether the claims of this PNAS paper  - based on simulations - is true for the sea also.
So I went back to look at the PNAS paper again. At the end of the paper there is acknowledgement of funds received from... - the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology!
Not bad. The way content from diverse papers connect up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment