Saturday 25 April 2015

Behavioural Synchronisation

When I lie next to my wife and relax, I find that I invariably synchronise my breathing with hers. Most of the time without noticing it. And whenever I am tense because of some work situation, she tells me that my breathing is noisy.

Synchronising of footsteps in soldiers, synchronization of the twinkling of the fireflies, … nature abounds in cases of entrainment of cycles.

Normally - I thought - it is the dominant individual who manages to force the others to fall in step. They extend their individual cycles a bit so that over time it is synchronised with the rhythm of the dominant individual. At least, this is the perspective that emerges from the studies on synchronization of menstrual cycles in women living together, as in jails and nunneries.

But a recent paper in PNAS reports that the brain activity of the leaders tend to synchronise with those of the followers.

This is indeed surprising.

Of course, the leaders obviously need to know the pulse of the followers. There has been this brouhaha about emotional intelligence in leaders. Leaders do need to know the minds of their followers before deciding the courses of action.

But is such empathy attained by synchronizing brain activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment